ART I - FOUNDATION
• It is important that you plan to attend regularly. The assignments are designed so that each unit is built on the preceding one. Missing the class frequently will hurt your ability to follow the units and will severely affect your grade.
• All units must be completed and handed in on the date specified in order to receive credit.
• You will also have written quizzes and tests to evaluate your understanding on certain key ideas and principles.
• You will be called on to participate in class discussions and in student evaluations of your work.
GRADING: At the beginning of each assignment, you will be given a list of specific goals and objectives that you are to achieve in a particular assignment. Your grade will be determined by how well you fulfill those goals and on:
• giving proof that you grasped the main idea of the assignment,
• your craftsmanship or how carefully and neatly your work is done,
• how far you go beyond a mediocre solution to the problem,
• the presentation of your work,
• the promptness with which you complete your work,
• your effort, growth, and improvement in all of these areas.
ATTENDANCE, PARTICIPATION, & ATTITUDE (daily points) 50%
STUDIO WORK, ACTIVITIES, & QUIZZES 40%
FINAL EXAM 10%
• Provided by the Student...
- sealable plastic container (your painting
- any special brushes, pencils, or pens that you might want to use
• Provided by the Department...
- an eraser (to keep)
- a 4B art pencil (to keep)
- all other materials required for class
NOTE: There is a $10.00 fee to cover incidental supply costs. Make checks payable to "Northfield High School." This is due no later than two weeks after the start of class. Art erasers and pencils will not be distributed to students until their fees are paid.
COURSE OF STUDY: This list of studies represents the basic ideas and projects that will be covered in this class. Its purpose is only to give you a general idea of some of the things that we will cover during the semester.
• Right / Left Hemisphere Exercises
• Mirror Imaging Exercises
• Creativity Exercises
• Contour / Blind Contour Line Drawing
• Compositional Organization
• Elements of Design
• Still-Life Drawing
• Rendering (Shading)
• Drawing the Human Figure
• Color Theory
• Color Exercises
• Monochromatic Color Scheme Painting
• Warm/Cool/Neutralization Composition Painting
• Color Neutralization Exercises